Thursday 9 June 2011

What Joan Fong think about Dr Tan Cheng Bock?

 

Mrs Joan Fong (daughter of the late Hon Sui Sen), clarifies that she was not the Joan Hon who wrote that George Yeo is not suitable to be elected president.

We want to thank Mrs Fong for engaging our readers on TOC and clarifying that she was not the Joan Hon who posted the earlier comments. TOC’s moderation policy is clearly spelt out HERE.

We present here in full, the three comments Joan Hon posted on our article, “Tan Cheng Bock vs George Yeo for president?

—comment 1—

I know both Tan Cheng Bock and George Yeo. It is a hard choice. For me, choosing one is an insult to the other.

I would like to highlight the fact that an email making its rounds carry three letters supposedly from this thread.

One is from Jenny Hu, whose name I checked didn’t appear on June 4 on this thread. The other from Jane Ho differs in content from what Jane Ho wrote.

The third letter carries my name. I did not write it at all. It is insulting to George if I said all those things. I was his GP and Physics teacher. He was one of the students that would cause me to beam with pride.

I once met him at his mother’s wake and told him I was campaigning against X-rated films. I had actually forgotten he was the Minister in charge of it. This was the honest truth. He probably thought I was insensitive enough to go to his mother’s wake to petition him.

After that I dropped the idea of getting a lot of signatures to support my intention. A year or so passed and one of my sisters reported that George said to her, “You sister is causing me a lot of trouble.” I had to tell him, this time at his father’s wake, that I had nothing to do with the flood of letters he received on the matter. Other people were campaigning too.

He and Jennifer, his wife, came to my Uncle Louis Hon’s wake. Jennifer shared a lot of her life and views with us. I’ve been to their house for two meetings regarding an event we were planning for the Museum.

As for Tan Cheng Bock, he was part of a large bunch of us sharing our teen years together. Full of stories. He is not an intellectual like George. But he is a medical doctor.

A stickler for everything good and true. As a scoutmaster, he had once snatched the axe from a boy scout who was about to chop down a coconut tree. When a police car swung onto the scene, and there, in the spotlight of the car’s headlights, was Tan Cheng Bock caught with an axe in his hand in a stance like he was the one about to chop down the tree.

[Bock if you are reading this, I think you were a scream on that occasion. Bet you can't remember this. That was so long ago. Nowadays, if you try to right a wrong, people will come and condemn you wrongly. That's life.]

Source: http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/joan-fong-clarifies-that-she-is-not-that-joan-hon/

No comments:

Post a Comment